2010-04-07

IT consumer or IT producer

Sometime ago, I read an article on notebook PC product positioning. The product manager mentioned something like they have a series of notebook PC's for a wide spectrum of users - from consumers to producers. They think IT consumers takes activities like web surfing, video watching etc, while IT producers need more powerful PC for content generation etc etc.

I cannot totally agree with this simple demarcation because I think some gamers' PC configurations are even more powerful than some servers nowadays (e.g. in terms of graphical processing power, Hard disk capacity, etc) and they are still though at consumer - am I right?

But this division of consumer vs. producer let me recall my old memories of economy classes. Consumer and Producers only appears in different context. For example:
A factory worker of course is a producer in the conventional context. But during his/her course of manufacturing, he/she will also consume some raw materials, although we can argue that the 'net' economic value of his final product should be greater than the raw materials.

From another point of view, a factory worker, after taking his salary, will consume on food, entertainment and other services, which are provided by other so caller producers.

Okay, back to the IT world. In fact, I find actually the majority of the users are just consumers. Take Facebook as example. Facebook is a collaboration platform, in which users should contribute the contents symmetrically. However, in my groups of friends, more than 80% the content generated are created by less than 20% of my friends (so-called 80-20 rule). I also found that many of my friends has logged on (from the on-line status) but never says a word on the wall or comment other's status.

I have also an IT acquaintance, who is very good at IT skills, never joined any forum, Facebook groups etc. He will visit forums every night to see others' postings and blogs. He just remains as a silent user! He has many excuses - web security, political audit, etc etc. But I just see these are excuses.