2010-10-11

Kindle 2011 Hong Kong Calendar

I have brought the Kindle 3. The advantages of Kindle 3 over previous version is:
  • it is much cheaper (the Wifi version is only US$139!)
  • it natively supports Simplified and Traditional Chinese without any additional hacking
After reading many "free" e-books found on internet, I must say I am very satisfied with my new toy so far, thanks to its appropriate footprint and long battery life.

I then start to explore whether I can create a Kindle ebook myself.

I am not a writer and therefore have no content to share. But why not make a Kindle app? Franking speaking I am not using KDK (Kindle Development Kit). But using the built-in annotation and indexing mechanism of the Kindle mobi format, I find I can make a calendar.


If you have interest, please install a copy yourself:

(1) save the attached prc file (link) using "Save Link As"
(2) transfer the prc file to your Kindle document folder via USB or your Kindle email account

Since I have added the Lunar Calendar, it has Traditional Chinese characters. But I have not tested the compatibility on older Kindle models.

You can create your Appointments as follows:
  • press the 5-way as usual to your target date (similar to creating notes)
  • enter your appointment details


Afterward, your schedule will be shown on the date with a superscript note-mark as follows:



(the yellow-highlight is added by me to draw your attention - Kindle does not support color display yet!)

Hope you like it.